Saturday, April 13, 2013

Prior to the season, David Phelps was slated to be the Yankees 5th starter, while Phil Hughes continued his recovery from a buldging disk in his back. Phelps had put together a good spring, so I guess you could say that he earned a rotation spot.

But heading into the series against the Tigers, New York decided to rush back Hughes, to have him start in Detriot. Sending Phelps to the bullpen before ever making his 1st start. That decision has since back fired on the Yankees, as Hughes has delivered two, very ineffective starts.

Through two starts, Hughes has totaled only 7 innings, after allowing 8 runs, and 17 hits against Detroit and Baltimore.

Phelps on the otherhand has been anything but ineffective. So far, he's worked 3 games out of the bullpen, including on Saturday when Phelps came into the game to relieve Hughes after allowing 5 runs over 3 innings. Phelps tossed 4 shutout innings, allowing only one hit, and struck out 6.

This is just my opinion, but the Yankees were completely wrong to bring up Hughes before letting him make a couple more rehad starts in the minors.

Should Hughes continue the struggle, or even Ivan Nova (who didn't show very well in his 1st outing against Detroit), it shouldn't be a tough decision to do whats best for the team. Right now, I believe that David Phelps starting every 5th day, is right for the team.

There's no doubt in my mind that Phelps has the stuff to compete every 5th day. He showed it against Baltimore, that he can make pitches and get guys out. I was really impressed with the way he throw the ball. And that curveball, nasty.

But my opinions don't matter. I'm not getting paid to make these tough decisions. I only pay to watch what happens. I know that the Yankees see what I see. Hopefully, soon enough, what I want, is what's happening.

Follow @GavinEwbank2013 on twitter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment