Thursday, February 20, 2014


Alfonso Soriano could become the second Yankee to ride off into the sunset, alongside Derek Jeter, and retire at the end of this season, according to George A. King III of the NY Post.

"It depends how I feel," Soriano told The Post Wednesday. "If I'am healthy I will play [in 2015]. If not, I will let it go. It depends how I fell."

Soriano is entering his 14th season in the league, and will be turing 39 in July.

He's coming off of a pretty good  2013 season, in which he hit 34 homeruns and drove in 101 runs, splitting time between the Yankees and Chicago Cubs. In 93 games with the Cubs, he batted .254 with 17 homeruns and 54 RBIs. 

He continued the same pace after being traded to the Yankees in July, hitting .256 with 17 homeruns and 50 RBIs.

Soriano is expected to be the fourth outfielder on the Yankees roster this season -- behind Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran and Brett Gardner on the depth chart -- while spending most of his time as the DH -- something that he has only done 35 times in his career, having spent most of his time in the National League with the Cubs and Washington Nationals.

"If I am the DH I will have to make adjustments." Soriano said. "When the team is playing defense, I will have to find a way to keep my body warm and ready."

**********

Gavin Ewbank is the Lead Writer for Yanks Beat Blog, and you can follow him on Twitter (HERE).

0 comments:

Post a Comment